The knee, like other joints of the human consists of bones and cartilage tissue. The cartilage is smooth, flexible and elastic layer, which ensures ease of pace and is no friction. Chronic damage to the cartilage wear and tear called osteoarthritis of the knee.
There are many factors that lead to the arthritic knee joint:
- genetic predisposition;
- abnormal movement;
People do not experience pain for a long time, and only then, if the osteoarthritis in the knee leads to a deformation of the cartilage, appear the first symptoms. The Patient is to the doctor, but the treatment of the advanced disease can be successful.
The osteoarthritis of the knee is often the result of accidents and injuries, but it can be years after a few. Therefore, at the slightest suspicion on this disease, you should consult a doctor.
The symptoms of osteoarthritis of the knee
The symptoms of osteoarthritis are:
- the pain increases during the activity;
- the increase in the temperature of the skin cover;
- decreased mobility of the knee joint;
- Creak, crisp sound that is audible while driving.
Pain after periods of inactivity is one of the most common symptoms of knee osteoarthritis. It is expressed in the morning when the joints need time to be warmed up. After the man is similar to a while, subsides pain.
Sometimes you can see the first signs of osteoarthritis of the knee only notice it a glance on him. Also, when the knee protrudes more to the outside than normal, this is the first signs can. To recognize the increased tendency of the knee to swelling easily. Bump the size of a Finger is formed above the Patella,as this is the weakest point. This happens due to the increased accumulation of fluid in the joint.
The reduction of flexibility in the legs can be on osteoarthritis of the knee joint. Those who were formerly in the position, the heels touch the buttocks, standing on one leg, but it can happen, and the half of the way today, you should consult a doctor. Thigh muscles to work can start harder than ever before, due to the knee osteoarthritis, getting shorter and shorter, and begin to ache. These muscles stretch and strengthen, to the previous restore functionality.
Another sign of osteoarthritis is a reduction in muscle strength in the legs is.
Osteoarthritis cartilage turns, the smooth as glass in a rough fabric that looks like sandpaper in the early stages. If these surfaces RUB against each other you can hear the creaking and sounds of the friction in the joint.
As knee osteoarthritis diagnosed?
The diagnosis of Osteoarthritis of the knee begins with the medical examination by a doctor. Determine before taking from-for what there is pain to help the doctor to make the correct diagnosis. Also, find out if anyone in your family has Arthritis.
Your doctor may prescribe an additional diagnosis, including:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) Scans, X-rays, which can display bone and cartilage damage, as well as the presence of bony spurs;
- MRI may be ordered if the X-radiation is a clear cause for pain in the joints or if the X-rays show that other types of joint tissue can be damaged. Doctors use blood tests to rule out other conditions that can cause pain such as rheumatoid Arthritis, a type of Arthritis caused by a breach in the immune system.
As the osteoarthritis of the knee treated?
The main objectives of the treatment of Osteoarthritis of the knee the pain relief and return of mobility.
The treatment planusually includes a combination of the following steps:
- Weight loss. The loss of a small amount of weight, if it is necessary, can significantly reduce pain in knee osteoarthritis.
- Exercise. Strengthening the muscles around the knee more stable condition of the joints and reduces pain. Stretching exercises help keep the knee joint mobile and flexible.
- Pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs: acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, or Naproxen sodium. If the drugs do not bring relief, your doctor give you a prescription of another anti-inflammatory for the relief of pain
- Injections of corticosteroids or hyaluronic acid into the knee. Steroids are strong anti-inflammatory drugs. Hyaluronic acid is usually present in the joints as a sort of lubricating fluid, but in diseases of the joints, it is not absolutely enough.
- Alternative Methods Of Treatment. Some Alternative treatments that be effective can include: cream with Capsaicin, acupuncture, or supplements, including glucosamine and Chondroitin.
- The use of devices such as staples. There are two types of brackets: those who unloaded braces, reducing the weight of the side of the knee; and brackets "Support", the support for the whole tribe.
- Physical exercise and occupational therapy. If you have problems with daily activities, movement, or occupational therapy can help. Physiotherapist you will learn methods to strengthen muscles and increase flexibility in the joint. Specialists make them suitable for a range of exercises to carry out in the home environment with the goal of reducing the pain.
- Surgery. If other treatments do not work, surgery is the only Option for the liberation of a disease.
Surgery is for the treatment of Osteoarthritis of the knee?
For the treatment of Osteoarthritis of the knee by a surgical procedure, such variations arthroscopy, osteotomy, arthroplasty are possible:.
At the time of arthroscopy , a small telescope (arthroscope) and other small tools. The surgery through small incisions. The surgeon uses the arthroscope to see the cavity of the joint. After the surgeon can remove or damaged cartilage free particles, it can clean the surface of the bone. The procedure is often pulling on patients over the age of 55 (and younger), more to hold back a serious surgery.
Osteotomy is a procedure that seeks the alignment of the knee, by the shape of the bone. This type of surgery may be recommended if you have damage, especially in the area of the knee. It can also be recommended, if it is damaged his knee and it is not reset. Osteotomy has no permanent effect, and surgery may be needed in the future.
Arthroplasty is a surgical procedure in which joints are replaced with artificial parts made of metal or plastic. Replacement may include side a, or the whole tribe. In General, replacement people over the age of 50 years and with a severe Form of osteoarthritis need. The Operation may be back later, if the replacement of worn out after a few years, but with the modern achievements of the majority of prostheses are used more than 20 years. The surgery has risks, but the results are usually very good.